The new Switzers Museum opened it's doors to the public on 7th December 2018. After 30 years of hard work this world class attraction is now open on a regular basis and we highly recommend you come and visit.
Waikaia owes much of its history to gold which was discovered here in 1862. At the peak of the rush Switzers (the town’s original name) had a population of around 2,000 including a large number of Chinese miners. Today gold mining is confined to recreational panning in Winding Creek. At Switzers Museum, Waikaia’s heritage is proudly displayed. Adjoining the Museum is the focal point of the town - a bottle house constructed of 20,000 wine bottles.
Summer hours: Labour weekend through to Easter - open daily 11-4pm
Winter hours: 1-3pm, weekends only
Admission: $5 per Adult and free to children under 13. Family passes $50 per year, individual yearly pass $20
Enquiries during opening hours 020 412 10180
Office Administrator Shirley Walker 03 2025 020
Archive queries Wendy Williamson 03 2027 809